Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Sheikspear Movie Poster Challenge

Of course I can't resist this, but to pick just three would impossible. So heres a bunch to get on with...


I remain very fond of Hawk the Slayer but this poster makes promises that the film can't keep. 'Voltan! You will die for this.' (Thanks to ukquad for the image (please don't sue me or anything)).

You may or may not know that I'm a bit of a Star Wars cynic. Like every man of my age I ate, drank and slept Star Wars as a boy but found it turn to poison in more recent years. When I look at this poster though those three (well, four) shitty sequels melt away from my memory and I'm eight years old again.

Leia: Captain, being held by you isn't quite enough to get me excited
Han: Sorry sweetheart. I haven't got time for
anything else. I love this film. How exciting is this poster? It's got three of my very favourite things; a submarine, snow and Rock Hudson. Chuck in Pat McGoohan and an Alistair MacLean plot and it just has to be the perfect film really doesn't it?

Still the most exciting Batman film poster as far as I'm concerned (notice the snow - a running theme?). I was heartbreakingly disappointed with this film the last time I rewatched it. It was as if the scales were lifted from my eyes and I realised, 'Hang on, this isn't really anything like Batman'. Great poster though.

'My hat it has three corners!'. This is a great film, and what a lovely poster. It's raining you know, can you tell? I've got a print of this that used to live in the living room.
Yeah ok, the film was bone but I love this poster.

Here are some other favourites...




Ok, that's it for now. Proper update soon. Possibly more posters too...

2 comments:

  1. Cool selection of posters.

    I love Ice Station Zebra too. I read quite a lot of Alistair McClain when I was younger, had a complete set of books, just gave most of them away, (kept Ice Station Zebra.)

    Brotherhood of the Wolf is a really good film, found it by accident one night. Love it when that happens.

    Blues Brothers. What can I say? Wearing sunglasses at night…….COOOOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Mr Stickler, Sir!

    Great collection of movie posters!

    I must admit, I, too, loved Ice Station Zebra.
    Must be an age thing. Or the fact that it was on telly every coupla months a few years back.
    Funny thing is, I'd watch it again if they repeated it now.

    The poster is far more of visual feast than than the film was, though!
    Brilliant!

    Any more scribospherists gonna, er, post, their fave movie posters?

    ReplyDelete